Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dr. Danny's Favorite Things

Presenter: Danny McPherson

Date: August 18, 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Location: Carolina Forest High Community Room

Description of Session:  This session is designed to share a few “best instructional practices” that have proven successful in the English classroom and are applicable for all learners regardless of their English proficiency.  Topics will include but not be limited to the following:  managing student writing; revising student essays; incorporating visuals, graphics, and strategies to organize and to facilitate student writing; designing “systems” for introducing, reading, and discussing novels; integrating HSAP review into the core curriculum; and teaching vocabulary.  Participants will have opportunity to design their own activities using works they teach.

Handouts:
In addition to samples (hard copy and electronic), the presenter will share actual student examples of particular strategies.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  August 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Great presentation! Lots of good, useful info presented in an interesting, clear way.

Anonymous,  August 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Thank you for giving me ideas that I will start on Monday! Your session was very useful. Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom!
Bambi Condrey, NMBH

Anonymous,  August 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Thank you so much for all of your great handouts and for "stuff" that I can jump into my classes and use right away!!
Mariah Reiss

Beth Sharrett,  August 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM

FABULOUS - AS ALWAYS!!!!!! Dr. Danny has so much enthusiasm and passion for his students and their growth as thinkers and writers, and he blessed us by sharing his tips and his demonstration of excellent teaching. His energy level ignited the pleasure of the entire group!

R. Pisaniello,  August 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I was sincerely inspired by the presenter. He provided wonderful resources for critical analysis at any level. His energy is perfectly suited for staff development as well. Thank you for having him present.

Jen DeBock,  October 6, 2011 at 6:04 PM

What a useful presentation for me as an English teacher! I often refer to the booklet for resources to use. Dr. Danny is a hands on presenter who I enjoyed and learned from from...bring him back aaini so other teachers may benefit!